Sunday, August 26, 2007

Becoming Jane

We watched the movie today with a couple friends. I really liked it; excepting a few scenes. Stuff that wasn't really in keeping with Jane Austins' character, and then there was one scene that should have rated the movie R, in my opinion. So while I can't recommend it based on that, otherwise it was good. If you do plan on watching it, I'd recommend waiting till it was on DVD, so you can skip that scene, instead of walking out of the cinema for a time. We then had some interesting conversation about it. Warning! Spoilers. :) Our first problem was, if Tom Lefroy really did care for her, then why ever didn't he say, "Wait for me. I'll make my way to support you and my family, without my uncles help if need be"! Instead he goes and gets married to somebody else! Yeah.... Then there was Mr. Wisley. Why didn't she marry him?! He was so obviously above Lefroy...He actually took time to think before he spoke, and people wrote him off as slow! Or worse...And his conversation was very intelligent...He was so much more of a man than Lefroy! Lefroy may have been a little more exciting, or 'stirring' to ones emotions....but really, is that what's important in marriage, or life, even? There's so much more. And personally, her whole stance on not marrying somebody she didn't love...love is a choice, not a feeling. As Mr. Wisley said, "Affection is a flower that takes time to blossom." I'm not saying she should have married him right off, but given it some time at least. Oh, well, I needed to get those pent up, angry feelings out somehow. :) There's my tirade for today.
Flag Football season starts tomorrow; along with Volleyball for the girls. Unfortunately, I'm too old for the Volleyball team, maybe they'll let me assistant coach!

No comments: