Thursday, August 2, 2007

Overcoming the World

Verse Of The Day
"In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33
"An average view of the Christian life is that it means deliverance from trouble. It is deliverance in trouble, which is very different. 'He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High...there shall no evil befall thee.'" Oswald Chambers.

Oh, the truth to these words! I must confess that all to often, I lose sight of that simple truth. In the trials of this world, I often become overwhelmed, wondering how I could ever hope to stay afloat. I forget that I can't, not on my own. But Christ has overcome the world. And in His secret place I am safe. But I have to go there. I have to accept His help, in fact, give everything to Him. And then in that place shall no evil befall me.

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have it's perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind." James 1:2-6

Am I willing to trust Him every day of my life? To let Him test me, producing endurance? To admit my lack of wisdom, and humbly ask Him for more? And to ask in faith, without the nagging doubts that so often assail us? Am I willing to 'be of good cheer', with joy in my heart when the hard times come?
These questions must be asked. Hopefully, you're answer is yes to all of them. But while that is what I really want my answer to be, sometimes I find I do not live my life according to that answer. You have to be willing to let God grow that desire in you, to seek Him daily and cultivate that relationship with Him. I find that I have to constantly rededicate my life to Him and to His will. I wonder, does there ever come a time when we don't have to do that? The answer seems to be no; you will have to make decisions for Christ every single day of your life. We live in a sinful world, full of temptations; and unless you live as a hermit, miles from any human contact all your life, you will be tempted by this world to turn from Christ. You should not feel guilty for being tempted, but you should for giving in. I want to encourage you to fight temptation; to continually seek His face. To persevere in the trials, leaning on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith. Knowing that He has indeed overcome the world.

No comments: