Friday, February 22, 2008

Chewy Coconut Macaroons

OK, so tonight, I didn't turn out to be very wise in the kitchen. Friday is one of my days, so I came up with an elaborate dinner menu; Chimichangas, Spanish Rice, Purple Hull Peas (Yeah, I know that wasn't the best vegetable choice, but I was rather limited), and coconut macaroons for dessert. I cut (actually it was more like hacked at) my finger while slicing green peppers; and I burnt myself on the oil while frying the chimichangas....no, I guess I didn't exercise proper kitchen caution tonight.

Well, I really love coconut macaroons; so I'm going to share the recipe with you tonight.

From The Ultimate Cookie Book put out by Better Homes and Gardens

CHEWY COCONUT MACAROONS
Prep time: 15 min. Bake: 20 min per batch. Oven: 325 F. Makes: about 30 cookies.

2 3.5 oz cans (2 & 2/3 cups total) flaked coconut
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 ts. salt
4 egg whites
1/2 ts. almond extract
2 oz. semisweet chocolate (optional)
1/2 ts. shortening (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 324 F. Lightly grease and flour a large cookie sheet; set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl stir together coconut, sugar, flour, and salt. Stir in egg whites and almond extract.
  3. Drop egg white mixture by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. If desired, in a small heavy saucepan heat and stir chocolate and shortening over low heat until smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over the cooled cookies.
  4. Enjoy!

No comments: