Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24, 2007

Wow, a lot has happened in the last four or five days.
Tuesday morning I woke up to a cat and my bed comforter covered in blood. Well, not completely covered, but there was a LOT of blood. At first, I thought it was her paw that was producing so much blood, but I soon ascertained it was actually her mouth. She kept bleeding pretty steadily for two and a half hours; by then I had decided I should bring her in for an emergency visit to the vet. They told me she had a "rodent ulcer'', that she might continue to bleed for two days, gave her a shot and told me I should bring her back in two weeks.
I rushed her back home in time to jump back in the car with my sister, her violin, and my 'cello for our lessons. And I got my 'first' piece of music: Mary had a little lamb. Yep, but hey, it's better than "Twinkle"....or maybe not. :) But it's a piece of music, instead of playing those open strings all the time. I'm grateful for it.
Then Wednesday was partially spent cooking in anticipation for Thanksgiving Day at my Grandparents house. Kathryn, Hope and I all made Apple pies; they made the traditional, and I made an Apple Cider pie....it's a pretty good recipe. Hope also made some Pumpkin Streusel pies, those are different....but they went over well for everyone but those with braces, since the pies contained nuts. :)
Thursday morning I got up early and made, surprise, more pies! The traditional Pumpkin/Maple pie. I also made some pumpkin bread for breakfast while my brothers peeled and cut potatoes for mashing. And let me tell you, they broke the record for fastest potato peelers ever! We also made a green salad with manderin oranges and glazed pears; and got the stuff together for the much-longed-for relish tray, our favorite Thanksgiving dish! We packed everything up and headed out. Everyone else in the family brought their various dishes to my grandparents, and we had a feast. The weather was somewhere between 30-40 degrees, and it was VERY cold. All the young people, which was just my siblings, one cousin, and myself, went outside to work off some of the food we'd eaten to make room for more food. We played frisbee for a while, then my brother's taught Hope and I to play football while Kathryn took pictures. We had a lot of fun, a great time. Then the game come on TV, and I was bored out of my head. Everyone else in my family is crazy about football, and while I will pop in occasionally to see the score, I'm not a great fan. But I endured the next two or more hours in as many different ways as I could think of, and then we all went back out to play it again. :)
We haven't been doing a lot yesterday and today; the guys have gone out hunting both days, and my 'baby' brother, Reed, got a wild hog. It will be nice to have the sausage through the winter. We girls went downtown shopping for a few hours today, in the rain, got pretty cold; my mother and sister Kathryn both bought stuff, but Hope and I escaped with our money still in pocket. :)
Well, I have to get up early tomorrow; it's Sunday, and since I'm a member of our praise team, I'm supposed to leave our house with my father, Hope, and brother Charles by 8:00 am. I'd like to be up by 6, so I have time to spend with the Lord first, and eat breakfast, and not have to rush through my dress. :) So all that means I should go to bed pretty soon; and I'll 'call it a post'.

No comments: